Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Congee

Sorry about the lack of posting but I've been under the weather lately. When I don't feel well, I have the kitchen make me congee, Asia's answer to chicken noodle soup.

Although it has been served in our buffet, congee is not on True Thai's menu. If, however, you are not feeling well, we can make you some to take home with you. Like chicken noodle soup, congee is best eaten at home in your pajamas in an easy chair in front of the TV.

Thai congee is rice soup with with egg and minced beef, pork or seafood, topped with garlic, ginger and onions. I was taught that the name congee itself is the Chinese word for rice soup, but Wikipedia thinks it is Tamil. In Thailand we call it Kao Tom or Jok (โจ๊ก). But, as with chicken noodle soup here, Kao Tom is best when it's made by your mom.

My mom's Kao Tom saw me through the measles, chicken pox, Bangkok flu, and countless colds and fevers. With the exception of Bangkok flu, I'm sure you can say the same for your mom's chicken noodle soup.

Unlike chicken noodle soup, many Asians eat congee for breakfast. It is on the menu in most Chinese restaurants but if you ask, you can get it at almost any Asian restaurant.

Like a mother's love, congee's good for what ails you.