Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Drunkard's Noodles (#54)

Wikipedia calls them Drunken Noodles and says this:
Drunken noodles (or Pad Kee Mao, less frequently Pad Ki Mao or Pad Kimao, Lao: ຜັດຂີ້ເມົາ, Thai: ผัดขี้เมา) is a Chinese-influenced dish that was made popular by the Chinese ethnics in Laos and Thailand. It is a stir fried noodle dish very similar to Pad see ew, but with more flavor. It is made with rice noodles, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, meat or tofu, bean sprouts, and various seasonings. Chili and basil give rise to its distinctive spiciness. There's another "Drunken" dish, Drunken fried rice or Kao pad Kee Mao.
My mom liked to make Pad Kee Mao in the morning with fried egg. I was taught to translate Pad Kee Mao into Drunkard's Noodles. I think my translation is correct because these are noodles for drunks and Wikipedia's "drunken" noodles sounds as if the noodles are tipsy.

Drunkard's Noodles are supposed to be very spicy. My mom would say it should make you sneeze but the point is that they should be hot enough to help sober up a drunk. It's commonly served on the street which just happens to be where you find the most drunks in Thailand.

Here is a picture of me holding some Drunken Noodles:



I must be honest: this isn't a good picture of Drunken Noodles. You can hardly see the noodles!

Now I know what some of you are thinking. You're thinking, "What about Drunken Rice?"

Yes True Thai does have Drunken Rice on our menu, but we call it Holy Basil Fried Rice (#63) because we thought one drunk on the menu was enough.