Monday, January 4, 2010

My old church

My old church got quite the facelift this year. I have told you about how eight Catholic families fled Vietnam a hundred years ago and came to Thailand to raise their children. The Catholic church in Chanthaburi has gone through many changes over the years but this year they went all out.

This is the church I grew up in. Our house was a block away, right behind the Cathedral.


It's changed quite a bit this last year thanks to many donations (including one from Anna!) and a lot of hard work. So much so that I even found a blog post about the renovations written by an expatriate Brit living Chanthaburi.



I grew up thinking it was the most beautiful church in the world, but after seeing pictures of the newly renovated cathedral I cannot wait to go home and see it again. At first I could not believe my eyes. It was as if my church had been replaced by Disney's Church of Tomorrow!


The celebration of the unveiling of Mary was spectacular!


Even from behind our new Mary is quite impressive. Her apparel is made from precious stones.


All I can say is wow. This all began with eight families who grew to be 38,000 Thai Catholics. Speaking as one of those Thai Catholics, I am very proud of my new old church.